OCTOBER TREKKER OF THE MONTH

Alec Tempongko



Member Since: 2006-02-01
Camera: Canon 1D mkIII, Canon EOS 20D
Note: Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer (2978)
alecnorman is a favorite of 105 members.
Viewed: 5951
Favorites: 1 member · 12 photos

Alec claims to be an amateur. But his posts says otherwise. You can see class and seriousness in his posts. A true artist to be reckon with. He is quite respected in various sites in addition to his Treklens. Browsing his Pbase account is a feast for newbies. You can see that ideas are flowing and shutters are clicking. May it be fine arts, portraits, landscapes and photojournalism that comes along his way.

Can you give us a brief background of how you started in Photography? What was your first camera, where the first passion sparked?

My very first SLR was a Canon. I then bought my first DSLR, a Canon 300D. I realized that I wasn't maximizing the potential of digital photography so I took my very first basic photography course at FPPF. There I won my first natural light portrait challenge and this certainly inspired me to keep on trying harder.

How did you became a member of Treklens?

I just discovered Treklens by browsing over the internet and was amazed by how people inspire and learn from each other.

For Alec, what is Photography?

To me, photography is a means of expressing oneself. A photograph speaks more about the photographer than the subject.

Let me ask about, who/what is your major influence in photography?

Manny Librodo for portraits. He never fails to amaze me. Richard Larrios for landscapes.

How do you separate your photography from others? Any general classification or photography in which you attribute your work?

All my images, whether portraits or landscapes portray emotions. I am pleased with how people comment on my work but at the end of the day, we all have different preferences because indeed beauty is relative and certainly is in the eye of the beholder.

If only one picture from your pool is to represent you as the Trekker behind the Lens, what will it be and why?

My photo entitled Veil. This image of a young boy was taken in a poor dumpsite community in Manila. His eyes emotionally struck me when I was taking the photo.

What will we be expecting more from alecnorman in future posts?

More portraits, perhaps different styles and some landscapes and fine art.

Can you give us an idea of your typical work flow from capturing the shot to posting to TL?

I shoot only in raw, adjust exposure and white balance if necessary. I then convert and save as TIFF file. I open the file in Adobe Photoshop CS2 and perform the necessary post processing depending on my desired final output on the image. For portraits, a glamour portrait will have an entirely different post processing method compared to a photojournalistic type of portraiture. For landscapes, it will depend again on the dynamic range of the image and the effect I want to achieve in the end.

Lastly, advice to those who want to start photography? To those who are new members in Treklens?

Photography is a challenging craft. Accept constructive criticisms and don't be afraid to make mistakes because this is the fastest way to learn. Experiment and try to break the rules. Practice makes perfect.